Friday, May 9, 2008

Other House Notes

1. Yarbrough's suggested doing a light orange peel on the walls. I can't remember what exactly that means, so I guess I had better find out. They also suggested a knockdown ceiling? And they suggested using a 1/2 mix for the ceiling paint. So is that better than using a bright white to match the moldings, etc.
2. No extra side window in the master bedroom. Only the ones along the back wall.
3. Bishop Christensen, our architect, suggested the extra cement slab in the foundation for support since we have such a long back wall that is unbroken.
4. Lots of outlets in basement as well as lights. Perhaps fluorescent lights as they are much brighter than incandescent and probably in the laundry room too. Figure out where we want light switches also. We also want plugs and outlets outside too, and access to being able to put more lights outside if we want, especially near the house for outside fun. Put an outlet above the kitchen cabinets so if want to put any lights for decorations up there there is an easy access to electricity. Also an outlet in the island is nice too - where is a good spot? Outlets in the workbench area too. Extra plugs where we plan to put TV, etc. Not recessed lighting in the basement as it is kind of dark. And an outlet in the pantry.
5. Big basement windows, like the Christensen's have. I need to go and take a picture of their.
6. Rounded corners on the walls.
7. Driveway off at an angle so the distance to the street is the shortest.
8. No wasted space - cabinets, lazy susans, etc. Figure out and discuss with cabinet guys for all places. Double check on their work.
9. Wood wrapped windows are nice but more expensive. How about niches? shelves at end of hallway, etc.?
10. I want two sections of drawers in the kitchen. How many are in the plan? How about cookie sheet cupboard? I don't need a spice rack drawer? Or do I? If so, I would like for it to be higher rather than lower I think.
11. We will need an above stove microwave.
12. Put an in-wall ironing board in the laundry? Do I really want this?
13. Is there wasted space going to be occurring under the stairs?
14. Phone jacks upstairs and down.
15. Trex is a good product for the porch and deck, but how costly is it?
16. Should we extend the patio in the back so it is longer at the back of the house?
17. I want to make sure I have a pull out spray at the kitchen sink. This is a MUST!
18. Do I have the builders put in built-ins in the master closet, or do I do that? I know I want drawers inside both master bedroom and the kids closets so we can eliminate some dressers.

Well - I think that about wraps it up for now. I have a few more notes to add, but have to get school work done with Kaitlin and Conner before I can worry more about this.

1 comment:

terramisu said...

Whoa! I am tired just reading all the mass decisions that you hafta make! Good luck! I like family-friendly everything- so my answer to all of your questions is probably "YES!" It will always be worth it in the end!

We have under the stairs storage in this house. It is the kids toy-room 4 now- but as I am gettin' serious with my food storage- It will soon have a new purpose!