Monday, May 12, 2008

Books

I read a couple of books to help me with building our home. A couple people have asked about them, so I will post the information here. I got all from the Mid-Columbia Library.

1. Make Your House Do the Housework by Don Aslett and Laura Aslett Simons. This book is written in Don Aslett's typical style and is not a home-dec type book. It is basically a book about building a home that is easy to clean. I despise cleaning, so many of the hints were great, but some I knew there was no way I would ever do that!
2. Your Dream Home by Lisa Siglag. This is a combo home-dec book and home design book. I am reading it now.
3. Be Your Own House Contractor by Carl Heldman. This book was more about building your own home and goes step by step on how to do it and forms to fill out, questions to ask.

4. This one wasn't at the Library - The Owner-Builder Book by Smith. This book gave suggestions as to details you may want to include in your home (i.e. sky lights, central vac, etc.)

Plus I have kept the booklets and info from the Parade of Homes that I have attended and I always put comments in them as I went through a house. Also, I am very inexperienced in all this, as is Brad, so we play dumb and ask lots of questions and wander up and down the aisles of Lowe's and Home Depot. We have found that lots of people give advice and opinions and we just have to decide which ones we want and which we don't, and which ones we can afford. Brad and I are pretty simple folk and don't want anything too fancy, just something decent and where we can play and be happy and have fun. We don't want anything where people are going to feel like they can't come in and make themselves at home.

On a side note - Courtney's husband, Will, was accepted into grad school at Eastern Washington University. He starts in September. We are soooo excited!

No comments: