Monday, October 24, 2011

January 2011

Sunday, January 16th - called Zach to see how he was doing.  Could not get a hold of him.  We called and called.  Finally he answered!  He had been out doing his home teaching.  What an example to us - most wait until the last moment - and here he was out just the week-end after school had started back up.  I was impressed.

Just as Brad and I were preparing to celebrate our 27th anniversary, his mom passed away.  It was very unexpected.  She had gone to church with us the day before, but was a little under the weather that Monday, January 17th.  Grandpa and I had gotten her all cleaned up and tucked in to bed and I knew she hadn't been herself that day, so I teasingly said, "Tomorrow you will be up and running a marathon."  As I left the room she whispered, "Thank you, Pam."  And sure enough, she was running a marathon the next day.   We called the kids to let them know the funeral would be in Payette on Saturday but we didn't expect them to come.  It would be a long drive and bad weather.  We would rather they be safe, plus we figured that they had lots of work to do between school work, jobs, etc.  Brad and his dad took the van and drove to Payette with Grandma.  I borrowed Spurgeon's (our home teacher) Suburban.  We waited until Friday afternoon when Courtney, Will and Whitney arrived from Cheney and then began our long scary drive to Payette.  I don't like driving.  I despise driving at night.  I abhor driving in the snow and ice.  It wasn't fun.  I found myself a traveling buddy, usually a big semi that wasn't moving at snail speed, and would follow behind him and where ever his lights went, I followed.  The Suburban drove very nicely and I was impressed as we passed many overturned cars, truck, and other accidents along the road.  We arrived safely and a few hours later the rest of my kids from Utah arrived.  It was a sad occasion for a great family reunion.  Uncle Louis let us all stay in his trailor home.  It was crowded and cold, but it was free. 

Grandpa and his 3 brothers


















We played games, discussed scriptures, ate food, and enjoyed each other's company.

No comments: