Monday, December 7, 2015

Covenants/Promises

In class we talked about covenants and about how 
we are a covenant keeping people.   I have been 
thinking about the covenants we make and what it
 means to me.  I guess I have always felt that once
 a covenant is made, it is sacred and not to be broken.
  Just like when I tell someone I will do something,
 I feel like my word is my bond.  I shouldn't have to 
sign a contract to ensure that I am trustworthy and 
reliable and that what I say  I will do, I will do.  
(I am not saying contracts are bad, etc. - just that I 
want to be known as someone that can be trusted.)  
Covenants are special promises made with Heavenly
 Father.  President Monson said, " Sacred covenants
 are to be revered by us, and faithfulness to them is a requirement for happiness."  I have made covenants 
with my Heavenly Father when I was baptized when 
I was eight years old.  I renew those covenants each
 Sabbath day as I partake of the sacred ordinance of
the sacrament.  I love being able to renew those 
baptismal promises each week.  Here is a picture of 
Conner right before he makes his baptismal covenant." 
When we are baptized, we covenant to take upon 
ourselves the name of Jesus Christ, to always 
remember Him, and to keep his commandments.  
We also promise to serve him to the end." 

Another covenant I have made is the one in the 
marriage covenant in the temple of the Lord.  I hold
the covenants I have made very close to my heart and 
would never break them, they are sacred.  

This is the Oakland Temple where Brad and I made our 
sacred marriage covenant in 1983.  (Sorry no picture of 
us, they are all stuck in a scrapbook and not easy to get to.  
But here are some pictures of some of my favorite people 
after they have made the same covenants.  

Something new I learned as I was learning about 
covenants  is that when we take the sacrament,  we are 
also renewing  all the covenants we have made with
Heavenly Father and not just those from our baptism.  
I love that great reminder each week. Another thing I 
was reminded about in class was the "keeping our 
covenants is not merely a list of things to do but a
commitment to become like the Savior."  

For more information please follow this link: https://www.lds.org/ensign/2012/07/understanding-our-covenants-with-god?lang=eng&icid=GCA14-R-5B-understanding




No comments: